This fitness blog is designed with busy people in mind. For so many reasons, it is important to make fitness a priority,
but not everyone feels as though they can incorporate it into a packed schedule. Here, you will find ways to lead a healthy
lifestyle, despite being busy.

Saturday, March 12, 2011

Keep a clean home AND stay fit – yeah, seriously.


You’re busy, so squeezing exercise into your schedule is tough when you have a full line-up of things to do each day: get the kids to school and to extra-curricular activities, put in a full day of work, make sure dinner is on the table at a certain time and maintain a clean home…among other things.

If your household is anything like mine, sometimes chores are abandoned. This has always been an irritating thing for me because when I get a bit of free time, I feel obligated to catch-up on my household duties. Ultimately this means that instead of getting outside for a walk, I am stuck inside cleaning – yay.

Fortunately for you and me, keeping a clean home and staying fit can work together. Barbara Hagen, Provincial Coordinator for Alberta’s Be Fit for Life Network, said, “Anything that you do that is active is going to increase your health benefits.” Guess what? That can include housework!

Calorie Counter, a free online diet program, suggests a 150 lb person can burn the following amounts of calories (per hour) for each household chore:
+ Vacuuming – 238 calories
+ Scrubbing floors/bathtub – 258 calories
+ Washing the dishes/putting them away – 156 calories
+ Laundry – 156 calories
+ Grocery shopping – 156 calories
+ Gardening – Yes, it will be that time soon! – 272 calories
Also, for all of you stay-at-home moms, carrying a child for an hour can burn up to 204 calories!

So, when you have to choose housework over going for a walk, keep in mind that if you put serious physical effort into your chores, you are still working towards your goal.

6 comments:

  1. I love the cleaning-the-house-work-out. I don't always have the time or energy to just work out so its amazing to know that I can do housework and burn calories at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is very interesting and I have never thought about cleaning as exercise, but this is great. Every time I go to clean now I will be a little more motivated

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad you posted this. I always felt lazy just cleaning the house instead of working out. Atleast now I know it isn't a waste.
    I definitely need to keep up on my actual training and get my sleep like your other post describes. I don't want my efforts going to waste. Thanks Catherine!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, that's amazing - I had no idea! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Catherine,
    This post definitely gives me another incentive to dive into cleaning and housework! I find that once you get into a groove, it does seem like a workout- but the calorie burner list is another incentive! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This post just made me so happy! I spent all morning cleaning and it is so nice to know that besides getting my house clean, I also burned a few calories. Thanks for reminding us that every bit of exercise we get counts.

    ReplyDelete